Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Seeing Things from the Other Side

As a history teacher, naturally I'm always intrigued by an opportunity to view social interactions from multiple angles and various points of view. As a teacher in a primarily Chicano and Latino community, the idea of teaching in Mexico has also long held significant attraction for me. So it should come as no surprise that I now find myself in Uruapan, Michoacán, Mexico for the summer, teaching an English Course from primary and secondary English teachers here, as a volunteer with the program "Sueños Compartidos."

I have been in Mexico for nearly two weeks now, and in Uruapan for about a week and a half. Aside from the breathtaking central Mexican countryside, the unparalleled gustatory opportunities, and the plethora of Colonial-Era historic sites (all of which have been remarkable), I have found the experience so far not only rewarding but surprisingly eye-opening. The program with which I volunteer partners with PROBEM (Programa Binacional de Educación Migrante) here in Michoacán--a division of the Department of Education tasked with meeting the needs of students who have returned to Michoacán after living in the United States for an extended period of time. Thus, the needs of these students as they make an sometimes difficult--and often unexpected--cultural transition, has provided a rich topic of discussion in my English class.

I never really imagined, as I worked to make my lessons accessible to English language learners and to make sure my classroom was a welcoming, inclusive environment for students of all cultural backgrounds, that teachers down here in Michoacán, on the other side of what has become a sort of migratory loop, were dealing with many of the same issues in reverse--supporting students who, upon returning from the United States, have limited academic skills in Spanish even though they may have done well in school in the United States--supporting the development of academic language, helping them integrate into what is, to them, a foreign school system, instilling in them a new set of social and cultural expectations, and so forth--not to mention the administrative obstacles that come with trying to transfer school records from one nation's school system to that of another.

Coming to understand this reality has not only created a sense of common bond with my counterparts here in Mexico, but has also caused me to re-evaluate the philosophy which underlies my support of migrant students in my own classroom. I have always tried to honor the diverse contributions my students bring to the classroom with them, whatever their background; I work especially hard to help students who do not see themselves as "American" to see that they can indeed become a part of the American mosaic without having to let go of their own cultural identity. However, as I reflect on the discussions I have had with teachers here, I realize that perhaps my task is a bit broader.than that. Generally, when a student from Mexico returns there, I have little or no warning; it doesn't occur with great frequency, but it does occur. I see now that, beyond helping students to find their place in the American mosaic, there is much I can do to help foster skills in dealing with novel situations, variety of culture, and differing expectations, that will help them to be more successful wherever they may find themselves.

I didn't realize until now that any kind of movement or effort existed to facilitate any kind of transnational collaboration in an effort to support these students in their transitions--and I get to sense that there is more happening on the Mexican side than on the United States side--but I want to be a part of it. My priority is that these students learn, and that they be prepared for a successful future. That is something I have in common with these teachers, and I feel like there is a lot more we can do to support each other in supporting the kids.

No comments: